Your Guide to The Impeachment: How did we get here and what is next?

Samantha Juthnas, Student Journalist

In the entire history of the United States of America, only three presidents have been impeached: Andrew Johnson, Bill Clinton, and now, our current president, Donald Trump. 

We are living through what will one day become an important historical event. No matter where you stand, it is high-priority to stay informed on such a present and ongoing public issue.

President Trump is accused of withholding military aid in order to pressure Ukraine into digging up information on 2020 Democratic competitor and former vice-president, Joe Biden and his son, Hunter. 

Hunter Biden worked for Burisma Holdings, a Ukranian company.

On July 25th, Donald Trump made the call to Ukranian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, asking for this “favor.” Weeks later, on August 12th, a CIA officer learned of the call and filed a whistleblower complaint. 

Shortly after this, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi opened an impeachment inquiry. This lead to numerous people related to the situation testifying before the house.

Democrats pushed for impeachment, as they believe that Donald Trump’s actions were unconstitutional and illegal. It is illegal for the president to bribe a foreign leader for information that would help their own electoral campaign or interfere with an upcoming election, which Democrats suggest Trump did. 

Republicans, on the other hand, believe that the impeachment is a “witch hunt” and that the Democrats have been looking for any way to kick Trump out since day one. They see the occurrence not as an act of bribery, but instead an appropriate investigation into the corruption of the company Hunter Biden worked for.

On December 18th, after hearing all the testimonies, the House voted in favor of two charges – abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. This action from the House formally impeached President Donald Trump.

The next step is Trump’s impeachment trial, held in the Senate. 

Despite some popular belief, “impeached” does not mean removed from office. In order to actually be removed, two-thirds of the senate must vote to convict. 

However, most people do not believe this outcome is likely for Mr. Trump, considering that Republicans control the Senate.