Yikes, Time Management!

We have all been told the importance of time management and the need to implement skills of  organization, prioritization, and planning, in order to increase effectiveness, efficiency and productivity; yet it is extremely difficult because we constantly procrastinate. 

Procrastination is the avoidance or intentional delay of doing a certain task that needs to be accomplished by a deadline. This idea or “action” is very widespread and ranges from children to adults. But, why is it such a common issue? 

There are five main reasons: decision paralysis, lack of self discipline, ignorance in the value of time, no sense of motivation, and negative emotions. 

We all struggle with making the correct decisions, but sometimes it is due to the amount of freedom within the choice. The term, “I do not know,” is quite popular in modern times because most individuals can’t decide what their priorities are. We may not admit it, but oftentimes, we know the right decision. However, we choose to ignore it. We tend to think of something being “too much work” or boring; we just “don’t feel like doing it.” Do not worry, these thoughts and words occur all the time. 

So, here are some strategies to manage time and stop procrastination.

• Get organized and figure out what needs to be done. Draw a timeline or even set reminders on your phone.
  • Create simple and easy goals. This could be starting homework at 6:00 pm instead of 8:00pm. 
  • Get rid of distractions. We are usually tempted to get distracted at home. (I mean, who doesn’t want to eat food, play video games, and watch shows while laying in our bed?!) It helps to be in an “professional” environment where you are pressured into focusing and completing tasks. For example, when you go to the library, there are almost always adults or teenagers working at desks. It will make you more inclined to adapt to the quiet atmosphere and complete your own work.
  • Be prepared to not be perfect! This is a hard one, especially for my perfectionists. This “fear” is something that needs to be erased because the only way to learn and be successful is by failing and making mistakes. 
  • Create incentives and treat yourself. Doing assignments and fully completing work is very challenging, so plan to add some entertainment into your schedule.

The most important part of time management and procrastination is being able to find a balance. Many teenagers suffer from depression and anxiety because of high feelings of being overwhelmed. This is reflected in many high school and college students.  After surveying 30 students in Ludlowe, I found that 27/30 people claimed to procrastinate. Also, according to the Dave Nee Foundation, approximately 20% – 30% of adolescents report symptoms of depression. Students need time to pursue their outlets and ways of relaxation so that they can perform better from an academic and social standpoint. 

All FLHS students need to wisely manage their time and control urges of procrastination. Whether you are doing hybrid or remote learning, it is best to create strategies that will help you be successful. Instead of regretting not doing an assignment or furiously doing it at the last minute, try recalling the sigh of relief and satisfaction of handing in an assignment. It is such an amazing feeling! Remember, health should be our number one priority; we only have one body so it’s crucial that we take care of our physical, mental, and spiritual well being.