Bringing Visibility to Women’s History Month

Dani Prohaska, Social Justice Editor

Women face discrimination all over the world, but they deserve to be recognized for their accomplishments. This March, the people of America celebrate Women’s History Month to emphasize the contributions women have made to the world and continue to make daily.

Notable events in fighting for women’s rights in America can be dated as far back as the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848 and before. The convention was led by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott, and the women at the convention published the Declaration of Sentiments, which called for women’s suffrage and equality.

Almost 100 years later, the 19th Amendment was ratified on August 18, 1920, and this gave women the right to vote. While this was a significant achievement in the fight for women’s rights, the movement was primarily made up of white feminists, and women of color still faced discrimination and segregation in America.

Finally, in 1965, the Voting Rights Act prohibited racial discrimination in voting, and this finally allowed black women to vote alongside white women. Intersectionality is an important factor when evaluating female rights, and all women are equal only when women of different oppressed groups, such as people of color, queer women, etc., can practice the same freedoms as white women.

Congress first recognized the month of March as Women’s History Month in 1987, and under this statute, the president is authorized and required to issue a proclamation for Women’s History Month each year. It was created to be a month in which the American citizens reflect on the history of female achievement in the country. Some notable American women include Hedy Lamarr, famous actress and the discoverer of the technology that created Wifi; Katherine Johnson, mathematician who played a significant role in the Space Race; authors Maya Angelou and Amy Tan; and civil rights activists Eleanor Roosevelt and Harriet Tubman.

Without women’s achievements, America would not be where it is today. It is crucial that schools teach about female accomplishments and the fight for equal rights, and educate students at a young age. While women should be respected every day of the year, this March, take time to show appreciation and be kind to all women!