The Prospect

A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Back to Article
Back to Article

A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Olivia Hurst, Author

Whether you know anything about the sport or not, gymnastics is one of the most watched Olympic sports there is. What is it about this sport that is so captivating?

Unlike many other sports, when we go to practice we train on a four-inch wide beam, four feet off the ground. We flip ourselves through the air, while pointing our toes and landing in perfect positions. This sport is not easy, but it’s very rewarding a definitely worth it.

If you didn’t know, (I wouldn’t be offended if you didn’t) Fairfield Ludlowe High School has a gymnastics team. We are all aware that no one would want to spend four-five hours at a gymnastics competition, and that is why I am here — to tell you a bit about the team.

The 2018-2019 captains are seniors Claire DeMaso and Georgia Sharpe. These two members successfully organize the team while keeping a positive energy.

“With all the new talent this year, the team is looking really great,” says DeMaso. “We really are like a family. It’s such an individual sport, but you always know your team has your back.”

The season has just started, and the gymnastics team at Ludlowe has taken first place at every competition so far.

Last week at the Pomperaug invitational, varsity competitor Ava Mancini, grade 10, won first place in the individual category. Basically, she was the highest scoring gymnast compared to everyone else in the entire meet, which was against 10 other teams.  

We are all training for the FCIAC meet coming up in February. Last year Ludlowe placed 3rd place at the FCIAC finals.

Last year we also had five gymnastics qualify for the State Open Championship. These members are Madison Cerny, Claire DeMaso, Georgia Sharpe, Ava Mancini, Evelyn Hogarth, and myself.

Ludlowe has also received the title of an All-American team, additionally having DeMaso and myself receiving the title of an All-American Gymnast.  

With this history and the current winning record, the future for the Ludlowe gymnastics team looks very promising.      

About the Writer
Olivia Hurst, Staff Writer

Olivia is a writer with her first year on The Prospect staff.

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Sports

Fairfield Boys Hockey

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Sports

Sarah Thomas: A Modern Day Pioneer in the NFL

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Sports

FLHS Indoor Track: On the Track to Success

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Features

The Germany Trip

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Features

Behind the Scenes on “Hello, Dolly!”

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Trending Now

The Real Cost of Acceptance

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Opinion

Ludlowe’s Education Advantage

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Opinion

A Ranking and Rating of Select FLHS Girls Bathrooms

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

Opinion

CT Senators and State Representatives Propose a Statewide Ban on Single-Use Plastic Bags

• A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS

News

Transgender Military Ban: The School’s Climate as a Reflection of the Political Climate

The Student News Site of Fairfield Ludlowe High School
A TEAM TO WATCH: LUDLOWE GYMNASTICS